Bits and Pieces in my Week

It was back to work for me this week and after having two weeks off it was hard on my back which has ached a lot.  I come home and rest in my favourite armchair which usually helps but I have found that even laying in bed at night I cannot get comfortable and wake up stiff as a board.  It takes me a while to bend in the morning but it probably doesn't help that I have put on a bit of weight over the hols so I have resolved to start dieting again on Monday.  I've said it now so will have to do it!

I started my intermediate sewing classes this week and decided to try a shift top pattern that came free on a magazine.  I sent for the retro fabric from Ebay and luckily it arrived in time.  Although it was a nice evening by the time the class started at 7.30pm i felt tired and could easily not have bothered going out.  I have never tried to make clothing before or cut out a pattern and it took me the entire two hours to do it.  Thankfully it is a very easy pattern, suitable for a beginner to try but i was made to iron the paper pattern as well as the fabric before starting!
This was the sad result of two big tubs of potatoes.  My home grown veg have been pathetic this year.  I thought i was going to get loads of strawberries as they had lots of flowers but didnt get even one fruit.  Lots of flowers on the runner beans but not a bean!  No peas either.  Did have a few spring onions but even the chard not doing well.   No carrots either but i found my cat Bonny in amongst them sunbathing numerous times so think shes squashed their growth.  I seriously don't know if i will bother next year.
Anyway i made a bean soup using the very smallest of the potatoes and OH said they tasted lovely but he probably just said that to cheer me up.  I have enough left to make another meal with.

I haven't done any food shopping this week and have been trying to use up the leftover bits and pieces after having the family here.   
To be honest i couldnt be bothered with lots of cooking so meals have been simple like vegetable curry, throwing in anything i could find lurking in the fridge, soup, chilli and as my sis in law gave me some advocado's to use up , i had half a bag of prawns in the freezer and a sad bit of lettuce so that was a yummy prawn cocktail.  She has been very good to us as when she did her own shop she got bread, milk, mince, peppers and some carrots for us too.  She also brought me these lovely roses that i put into the empty mayonaise jar after making the cocktail sauce.

 
A lovely splash of bright colour and one of my favourite flowers.

I have also been trawling the internet for cheap fares to go down south in October.  I did a blog post end of August last year about finding cheap train tickets and i was really happy to get my whole journey for £113.69.  Well a year later i am doing the same trip for £86.59!  Isn't that amazing as we think everything has gone up such a lot.

This morning we have had heavy rain but it should hopefully dry up later.  I am off on a trip to an adventure park today, organised by my church same as they did last year.  We are all taking a picnic to share so it should be a fun day, i am refusing to go on the rollercoaster this time though!

Terri X

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small and Cheap Changes to my Room

The fridge is nearly bare!

Life

Frugal Shopping & Cooking

The Green Room